Thursday, August 31

A New Beginning: 1

Who would have thought a simple trip to the gas station would bring us here? We stopped for 20 of unleaded regular and snacks. The guys found their food, Doritos and dew fuel to be exact. I found my heart, beating furiously, trying to escape from my chest.
You could have knocked me off my feet with a simple pat on the chest as those piercing blue eyes rendered me useless, and dumbfounded.

Time passed, as I pondered what this was. I waited impatiently to make the drive to the fire. Routine stops felt like torture, prolonging my arrival and testing my patience.

The van rolled to a halt, the shifting lever made two clicks, landing in the P position. The ignition died as my heart sprang to life.
Sparks flew that warm summer night, and not from the fire. Red flags were at full mast, blowing in the wind, but I didn't fear it, because it felt so natural.

I left that night feeling more alive than ever. Returning to the house only to further our conversations and reveal my thoughts and feelings. My heart poured out like the liquor you used to keep my glass filled. Why is it that something I want and need so badly is just out of reach?

I went to bed that night long after the others had crashed and burned. The clock on the wall sang its song, Chiming off 5 times beckoning me to sleep. I drifted to sleep with what I am sure was the biggest smile my cheeks have encountered in many months. My last memory of that night was the fear of waking, and realizing this was all some kind of cruel dream.

Little did I know this was only the beginning of a dream come true.

No comments: